Wednesday 15 June 2016

Australian Adventures @ Meat Fish Wine


31 Artemis Lane, Melbourne VIC
8660 6333
12pm - 3pm Lunch
5pm - 10pm Dinner
Closed Sunday
Definitely a classier atmosphere than I expected, I've been pretty excited on coming down to Meat Fish Wine since it first opened. Enchanted by the modern and fancy interior the restaurant gave off a fine dining vibe. 



Coming with a group of 4, we came during lunch time of a weekday, and surprisingly the restaurant was empty during the rush hour. 

As I was late, I awkwardly made my way through the restaurant as I was completely under-dressed and totally didn't fit in at all (learnt my lesson) 



2 of us including myself opted for the express lunch special which included and entree, main, dessert and a glass of wine. Whilst the other 2 decided to order a main and side from the a la carte menu

Complimentary Bread, Butter & Olive Spread

We were served complimentary bread, some sort of butter and olive spread right after we ordered. I don't remember what the waiter said as he was explaining what was what on the plate. 

The olive spread was absolutely delicious, I've never had it before but I wanted more. The butter on the other hand was nothing special, definitely had a great flavour but I preferred the olive spread by a mile.

(8/10)


Spiced Duck Liver Parfait
Onion relish, parsley, cornichon salad

My friend (R) who opted with the lunch express set with me ordered the spiced duck liver parfait as his entree which he said he enjoyed. I had a bite and it was a unique dish which I haven't tried before. The texture was smooth, when combined with the mini-toast, created a unique flavour. Unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea.


(5.5/10)

Beetroot Cured Salmon
beetroot and mizuna salad, avocado puree

I instantly knew which entree I was going to get. With my history and love of salmon, I had no choice but to choose this dish. 

The beetroot cured salmon itself was delicious and fresh. with many elements on the dish there was numerous combinations of ingredients that made this dish enjoyable. The avocado puree worked well with the salmon and the black rice cracker which I didn't know was included in the dish was delicious.

(7.5/10)

Lamb Rump ($40)
celeriac & apple puree, dates, puffed quinoa

My friend (D) ordered the Lamb Rump, I wasn't able to try the dish but she did quote "The presentation of each meal was so beautiful. The lamb was dayum good, cooked nicely & went well with the combination of sauces of the plate"



Snapper 
smoked cauliflower, "noir cracker" & sea foam

(R) and myself ordered the Snapper for the main dish. I absolutely loved this dish, the snapper was tender, flavorsome and cooked to perfection. Though the rest of the dish was questionable. 

The sauces which I believe was mayonnaise, a type of spicy sauce, sea foam and I have no idea what was in the 3 bubbles in the photo. First of all is that those bubbles are extremely sweet and in my opinion, did not work well with the dish at all. The other sauces were mediocre and underwhelming, I felt like there could've been much better alternatives to the sauces as the fish was absolutely stunning.

(6/10)




Wagyu Rump Cap ($55)
garlic butter

My friend (S) got the wagyu rump cap, I didn't try any of the dish but she did mention that the steak was underwhelming and "not that good" for the price. With such a large price tag she would've much preferred Meat & Wine Co steak instead.

Vanilla Creme Brulee 

Lastly is the dessert, both (R) and I ordering the creme brulee. The creme brulee was underwhelming and wasn't my cup of tea. There was home-made ice cream which accompanied the dish, and to be frank, it tasted bad. I had no idea what was in that nor what flavour it was but I did not enjoy it.

(4/10)

Overall Meat Fish Wine has a few hit or misses and I feel they could improve on food. Service was attentive but at the same time there was only one other table dining during the time we were. I will definitely come back as I've heard they have changed their executive chef and perhaps the food will be much better than it was on my experience. 

Food - 5.75 / 10 
Ambience - 10 / 10
Service - 9 / 10
Total FoOodie Points - 24.75 / 30



No comments:

Post a Comment