Saturday 23 January 2016

Japanese Adventures @ Shimbashi Soba

17 Liverpool St, Melbourne VIC
9654 6727
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Everyday

When you think of having some good quality Japanese soba, then you think of Shimbashi Soba, a popular Japanese soba specialty restaurant which has customers raving about their handmade soba.

I didn't know about this place till I randomly walked past it and i'm glad I did, because I wouldn't have found out about this place if I didn't.

Outside 

To be honest the prices are a bit steep for soba but it's pretty worth, but if you're interested in coming here and wanting to spend a bit less, then I highly recommend in coming at lunch hours as their lunch menu is a lot cheaper than the dinner menu.

Interior 1

Also a great mention is that they have daily specials which sound mouth watering.

Interior 2

The atmosphere is pretty casual with a large shared table for those that haven't booked, if you're looking for a table for 2 then you'll need to make sure you call up beforehand.

Complimentary Mashed Potato

A first actually, that I've went to a Japanese restaurant in Melbourne that provides a complimentary side dish. The mashed potato was great to start off with.

Salmon Yukke ($9)
Marinated spicy salmon sashimi

The salmon was definitely fresh, you can tell by the texture of it, but the flavour disappointed me. I felt that the marinade overpowered the taste of the salmon sashimi and was too bitter for my liking.

(6/10)

Okonomiyaki ($13)
Japanese style pizza topped with special sauce and mayo

The okonomiyaki was quite average, it had a great texture but it lacked in flavour. There wasn't enough sauce for the entire dish and lacked a punch which most okonomiyaki dishes give.

(5/10)

Chicken Soba ($17)
Warm soup noodle with dumpings & chicken fillet

To be honest, i'm not a big fan of warm soba dishes. I feel that the texture of the noodle itself is a lot better chilled but that's just my personal preference. As my friends who had this dish said it was pretty good, overall the dish was pretty satisfying, the soup was delicious with a great combination of ingredients.

(7/10)

Tempura Seiro Chilled Soba (Large) ($23)
Chilled noodles with assorted tempura

Feeling really hungry as it was the only meal I had for the entire day, I ordered a large size which is an extra $4, and they sure give a lot. Chilled soba always hits the spot on a hot day, and with crispy assorted tempura on the side, it was a refreshing meal. 

The soba noodles itself had the perfect texture and the dipping sauce was perfect in enhancing the flavour of the soba. The assorted tempura, the prawn to be precise was my absolute favourite. Crispy and succulent, it was amazing.

(8/10)

Lemon Lime Bitters 

I was hoping for a home-made lemon lime bitter instead of a bottled one, so it was slightly disappointing. Nonetheless, it was still pretty good.

Food - 7/10
Ambiance - 6/10
Service - 8/10
Total FoOodie Points - 20.5/30

No comments:

Post a Comment